Frequently Asked Questions
Below you can find the answers to frequently asked questions. They are paired in 3 groups; what you need to know about ordering a lamp, getting help with making choices and instructions. Do you have another question? We would love to answer it! You can mail your question or you can enter your question at the right. We will mail you back as soon as possible.
What you need to know about ordering a lamp
We deliver all lamps worldwide and for free.
After an order we start making the lamp according one’s choice. We cannot reverse this process. That’s why we advise you to contact us as soon as possible if something went wrong during ordering or if you changed you mind.
The choices for the pendant accessories can be changed up to a week after ordering. You can contact us about this through mail.
After the delivery or pick-up of the lamp you will have 30 days to decide whether the product meets your expectations. To be able to view the lamp properly you may assemble it. If the lamp does not meet your expectations, let us know within 30 days and send back the (disassembled) package (the shipping costs for returning will be on your account). We will refund you for your order after receiving the package (complete and without damages).
Help with making choices
At this moment you can choose from a few variants of wood and acrylate for your lamp. The information below can help with deciding what material for your lamp fits you interior best. In the end it will be a matter of taste.
Wood has a warmer and more natural appearance than acrylate. When laser cutting wood, the laser burns through the wood. That’s why the dark edges appear. The dark edges emphasize the patterns.
- MDF – this material has a greyish brown colour and has a matte finish through sanding. This gives the lamp a warm industrial appearance. A lamp made of MDF are beautiful in interiors with few or no uncoloured wooden furniture or items. However white wash furniture also matches very good with MDF!
- MDF with oak veneer – this is MDF with an oak layer on top. The oak gives the lamp a natural and luxury appearance. It fits almost all interiors nicely. In a white, minimalistic interior a lamp with oak veneer can be a friendly counterpart with it’s warm and natural appeance. In a classcial interior with a lot of wood, oak can be a blending match.
Acrylate has a more fresh and modern appearance than wood and can be chosen in various colours. Laser cutting doesn’t change the colour of the edges of acrylate. It only makes the edges shiny.
- Frosted white acrylate – this acrylate has a stony appearance and let’s through only a little bit of light of the light source. This subtle colour fits almost every interior. The darker the interior, the more the white acrylate will stand out. Make sure you want this. In a light interior the white acrylate will make a silent statement whithout overruling its surroundings.
- Frosted black acrylate – this acrylate had a stony appearance and doesn’t let through any light. Black has both a tough and a chique/ classy appearance. This colour matches many interiors, but stands out a lot more than white, because of it’s powerful and intence appearance. Make sure you want this. The patterns of a lamp made of black acrylate are very clear against a light background.
- Frosted translucent coloured acrylate – these colours have a matte finish (frosted) and are semi-transparent (translucent). This way thay let through light, but you cannot see through the material and they cannot reflect light.
What many people do not know, is that the kind of light source you use is as determinative for the ambience as the lamp/ shade around it. That’s why we like to tell you something about the effect of some important light sources on the ambience. We start with the light sources that can be ordered with our lamps.
- The LED filament lamp is the environmentally friendly version of the carbon filament lamp and the most environmentally friendly light source that is available at the moment. With a LED filament lamp you get soft shadows, because the light isn’t transmitted through one central point. This type of light source is the most expensive one, but it is pretty robust and it has a long time durability. We offer this type of lamp in a globe or an Edison shape. To be able to use this light source for functional needs as well as for cosy moments, we advise you to use a dimmer. Be aware that you will probably need a special dimmer for LED lamps and that not all LED lamps are dimmable! (The ones we offer are all dimmable.)
- With the halogen lamp you will get the most clear and precise shadows. This is because the light is transmitted trough one central point. An important thing that makes our lamps special, is that they can create beautiful shadows. That’s why the halogen lamp makes the most out of our lamps. We are looking for a good replacement, because it is announced that from September 2018 there will be an European embargo on the sales of halogen lamps. To be able to use this light source for functional needs as well as for cosy moments, we advise you to use a dimmer.
- The top mirror lamp blocks the light in the lower part (in case of a pendant) which also blocks the direct light from your eyes. This is preverable when the direct light is too bright for your eyes. Another effect of the mirror is that you can see the patterns of the lamp in the mirror and that the shadow patterns are even more clear and precise. On the inside of the lamp there will be some kind of colour gradient, because there is no direct light in ther lower part. For the same reason there could be not enough bright light above for example the dinner table. You will need to try this. The top mirror lamp is available as a halogen lamp and a LED lamp.
- The incandescent lamp is the light source that is probably still the most familiar. It is the old-fashioned cozy bulb that becomes very hot when it is on for a while. The heat it produces, indicaties how much useless energy it wastes. That’s why there is an European embargo on the sales of incandescent lamps to consumers since 2009.
- The carbon filament lamp is a incandescent lamp with a longer carbon wire in a special shape. It’s purpose is for decoration and they are beautiful in our lamps. Still we don’t offer them, because they are very vulnerable and the light intensity is low. Carbon filament lamps create a very nice ambience, but produce too little light to be functional as a main pendant.
- The CFL is the last one in this row. We just want to say that we do not recommend the CFL for use in our lamps. Not only because they often give cold light, but also because the looks of the CFL detract from the design of our lamps.
You can do a lot with colour; you can attrect the attention with colour or let it blend with its surroundings. An interior with just a few calm or natural colours, it can be a nice statement to use a very distinct colour for the lamp. It always works to choose a colour that you already use for a few items in your interior. Natural colours for the pendant accessories will make sure the attention will go to the lamp. You can have look at our webpage with lighting examples for inspiration.
Absolutely! We very much like to think along with you and/or send you a free and personal proposal. You can mail us at least 1 photo of your interior en let us know if you already have preferences. Also give us the dimension(s) of for example the table or window that is shown in the photo (this way we can get a good impression of the dimensions of the space). We are looking forward to your request!
If you have ordered a pendant light that has been shipped to you, then it needs to be assembled with the use of an instruction manual that you can find in the package. The table lamps are ready to use at delivery, so don’t need assembling.
Most pendant lights in our collection consist of 20 flat parts that you can put together yourself without tools and extra parts. It is important to check the instructions carefully before assembling the parts. You will then be able to assemble the lamp in 5-10 minutes. It is also possible to pick up the lamp in Rotterdam. We will then assemble the lamp for you. You can download a few instruction manuals below;Instruction manual pendant Vélo 1 Instruction manual pendant Antler Instruction manual pendant Flower Instruction manual pendant Leaf Instruction manual pendant Musica Instruction manual pendant Monkey
Please mail or call us if you have problems with assembling the lamp, because we like the assembly to be a nice and fun experience! With the help of for example a WhatsApp video call we can quickly see what pointers you need to continue the assembly.
We enwrap, pack and ship the lamps as carefully as possible. In the unfortunate occasion that your order is damaged at delivery, you can let us know. We will make sure you get a new lamp or replacable new parts.
The lamps are vulnerable during assembly and installation. We include instructions that explain how you can prevent parts to brake or get damaged. Still, we understand that it could happen that a part breaks or gets damaged. That’s why we will send you a new part for free up to 1 month after delivery.
To be able to replace the light source of a closed lamp, you need to disassemble the pendant element in which the lamp socket is mounted. We absolutely do not recommend to disassemble one of the other parts at first, because you will break it for sure! The pendant element is especially made for being the last one to assemble or the first one to disassemble.
Precautions: Only dismount pendant lights, after shutting of the power of the circuit. In case of table lamps; always pull out the power plug before changing the light source.
Cleaning can be done with a feather duster, an earosol can with compressed air and/ or (gently!) with a vacuum cleaner while holding the lamp firmly. Acrylate lamps can be cleaned with a damp cloth. Wooden lamps are preferably kept dry. Only when neccessary use a damp cloth of which the water is squeezed out as much as possible.
An earosol can with compressed air is the most effecient, safe and easy way to clean our lamps.